More than 150 million Americans have at least one “silver” filling in their mouths. Yet dental amalgam contains very little silver. It is made up of about 50 percent mercury. As consumers become more aware of the health hazards associated with having one of the deadliest toxins known to mankind a few inches from the brain 24/7/365, many are considering removing amalgam fillings. I advise friends and family in New York to carefully research the dentist they choose to do the work.
Inappropriate removal of amalgam
Conventional methods of removing amalgam fillings greatly increase the mercury hazard. Little or no protection is provided to the patient as the filling is ground out with a drill. Particulate matter lands on the skin and is swallowed. The greatest threat, however, is from the drilling itself. When amalgam is heated by friction, it releases mercury vapor. Inhaled mercury vapor quickly passes through lung membranes and accumulates in the body.
Safe removal of dental amalgam
At The Brand Wellness Center, we adhere to strict IAOMT guidelines for removal of even a tiny amalgam filling.
- The patient is given an activated charcoal tablet 15 minutes prior to filling removal.
- The treatment room has an air filtration system.
- An alternative air source is provided for the patient.
- A rubber dam keeps particles from being swallowed.
- The filling is kept cool with water and air.
- “Chunking” the filling into several pieces reduces the need to drill.
- A high volume evacuator removes vapor and particles.
- Once the filling is removed, staff uses fresh rubber gloves.
- The patient’s mouth is rinsed for a minimum of 15 seconds.
- The work area is immediately cleaned up, and the patient’s face and neck are wiped.